Public Health Minister, Dr George Norton on Monday stated that while there appears to be a rise in dengue fever, its manifestation is not alarming for the Ministry.Recently, the Caribbean Public Health Agency (CARPHA) recorded 303 confirmed cases of dengue in Guyana, as of the first week in August – which is a huge increase from the 142 probable cases in 2015.However, when Dr Norton was asked about the rise in the mosquito-borne virus, he stated that one of the reasons for the hike was because patients were either not taking their medications, or not seeking help from healthcare facilities. In many of these cases, he said, the virus is transmitted from the infected person to a mosquito which bites them and it would in turn bite another person and infect them.Public Health Minister, Dr George Norton“CARPHA is a reputable institution and I accept their statistics. But this is not only a Ministry of Public Health problem, the people also have their part to play,” Norton said.“Patients need to take their pills or get themselves tested when they have the signs or the symptoms,” he added, stating that the Ministry has upped its game in educating and creating awareness on the mosquito which carries the virus. He noted that the Ministry, through the Vector Control Services, has continued its fogging exercises and donation of treated bed nets.Of late, reports of dengue have been eclipsed by the emergence of Chikungunya and Zika, all of which are transmitted by the Aedes aegypti mosquito. The symptoms of all three of the viruses are identical, making it difficult to differentiate. The symptoms include fever, rash, headache, muscle and joint pain.So far, there have been 5375 reported cases of Chikungunya, with 264 confirmed cases, and 35 confirmed cases of Zika in Guyana.
A West Donegal man who hid a sawn-off shotgun and other objects used in a number of robberies has received a suspended jail sentence.Maurice Boyle, 23, of Loughanure, pleaded guilty to the possession of the shotgun at his home on March 1st, 2009.Garda Paul Gallagher told Letterkenny Circuit Court that Gardai met with Boyle at a checkpoint and they agreed to go to his house. Gardai searched the house and found a rusted German shotgun behind the panel of a bath.They also found five spent cartridge shells as well as three unused shells, balaclavas and gloves.Boyle initially denied the gun was his at all and was interviewed on eleven different occasions.The court was told that Gardai suspected the gun found in Boyle’s house had been used in a series of robberies across West Donegal.Two local men Paul McEleney, 19, of Middle Dore, Bunbeg and Tadhg McKelvey, 18, of Loughanure, were previously charged with robbing McDevitt’s Service Station in Dungloe, Gallagher’s Topaz in Derrybeg and Templecrone Cope.Both men received Community Service Orders.The court heard how Boyle was dating and had a daughter with McEleney’s sister and felt a certain amount of loyalty to him.Boyle said he was embarrassed for his family for what he had done and apologised to the court.He also revealed how he had received a promise of a job in the UK and planned to move there, make some money and invite his partner and their four year old child to join him there.Judge John O’Hagan said he remembered the case of both McKelvey and McEleney well as he had been criticised by the public when he passed sentence.However he said he gave them a chance and as far as he knew both men had stayed out of trouble.And he told Boyle that he was also giving him a chance.“I propose to give him a chance. I hope that I never see him in any court in future. What you did was foolish, mad, crazy as young people do. I know a lot of people in Donegal were cross with me and sympathetic towards the young girls in the shop. It is my decision. You are not getting away with it. It could restrict your ability to go away,” he said.He sentenced Boyle to five years in prison but substituted it for 240 hours community service.At hearing. Copyright donegaldaily.comMAN HID SHOTGUN BEHIND BATH FOR YOUNG ROBBERS was last modified: February 1st, 2012 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)
Paris St Germain right back Serge Aurier has been granted a United Kingdom work permit and is set to join Premier League club Tottenham Hotspur F.C., according to media reports on Wednesday.Sky Sports said representatives of the 24-year-old Ivory Coast defender confirmed that a work permit had been approved following delays caused by a criminal conviction in France.According to media reports Spurs have agreed a 25 million euro (29.81 million USD) fee for Aurier, a natural replacement for Kyle Walker. England right back Walker joined Manchester City F.C. for a reported 50 million pounds (64.61 million USD) in July.Premier League leaders Manchester United F.C. are also chasing Aurier, who last season was refused entry to the United Kingdom to play against Arsenal F.C. in the Champions League.Aurier was found guilty in September last year of assaulting a police officer outside a Paris nightclub in May 2016 and was given a convertible two-month prison term.He denied the charge and has appealed against the sentence, which since it is convertible usually results in community service.