Masters Moments: Bubba Watson’s emotional play-off victory in 2012 | Golf News

first_img Get the best prices and book a round at one of 1,700 courses across the UK & Ireland Get a NOW TV Sky Sports Pass Catch your favourite sport with a NOW TV Sky Sports Day Pass – one-off payment just £9.99 Bubba Watson claimed his first major victory by beating Louis Oosthuizen in a play-off at Augusta National in 2012 and there were plenty of tears after his win; Watch the 2020 Masters live from November 12-15 on Sky Sports’ dedicated Masters channel Last Updated: 07/11/20 7:35pm – Advertisement – – Advertisement – We take a trip back to the 2012 Masters and Bubba Watson’s tearful reaction as he claimed his first major victory There were plenty of tears at Augusta National in 2012 after Bubba Watson claimed his first major victory by securing the first of his two Masters titles.The American left-hander was forced into a play-off with South African Louis Oosthuizen after the pair finished on 10 under after 72 holes.They both parred the first extra hole – the 18th – and it looked to be advantage Oosthuizen when Watson hooked his tee shot on the second extra hole – the 10th – into the trees down the right of the fairway. 2:20 However, he then produced a sensational recovery shot as he hooked a wedge from the pine straw onto the green, turning his ball almost 90 degrees, and within 10 feet of the hole.Watson missed his birdie putt but Oosthuizen failed to make his par and the American tapped in to secure the title.center_img That sparked a flood of tears as he hugged his caddie Ted Scott and he then shared a touching moment with his mother as his victory started to sink in.Click on the video above to see Watson’s magic from the pines and his tearful victory celebration! Watch The Masters this November live on Sky Sports, with all four rounds exclusively live on Sky Sports’ Masters channel. Live coverage beings with Featured Groups from 12.30pm on Thursday November 12. – Advertisement – Watson dons the Green Jacket after his victory Watson dons the Green Jacket after his victory

Doctors back inquiry on kids trans care

first_imgThe Australian 24 September 2019Family First Comment:“World-renowned child and adolescent psychiatrist Christopher Gillberg says he thinks unproven treatment of trans-identifying children is “possibly one of the greatest scandal­s in medical history”. Professor Gillberg’s neuro­psychiatry group at Sweden’s Gothen­burg University — which has research hubs in Britain, France and Japan — has called for an immediate moratorium on the use of puberty blocker drugs because of their unknown long-term effects. He said the situation in Swed­en was “absolutely horrendous”, with hundreds of children a year given “experimental” puberty blockers and cross-sex hormones, risking infertility, “in the face of their parents’ doubts”.”Is anybody listening in NZ?More than 200 doctors in three days have added their names to a medicos’ petition urging Health Minister Greg Hunt to call a wide-ranging parliamentary ­inquiry into risky medical treatment of young people who believe they were born in the wrong body.Nine child psychiatrists, nine paediatricians, and 14 university professors and associate professors are among the signatories to the doctors’ letter launched online on Sunday. They support a 16-page inquiry brief sent to Mr Hunt earlier this month by Western Sydney University professor of paediatrics John Whitehall.Last month, Mr Hunt referred concerns to the Royal Australas­ian College of Physicians but Dr Whitehall and supporters do not believe the college is capable of running the comprehensive and independent inquiry needed.Meanwhile, world-renowned child and adolescent psychiatrist Christopher Gillberg says he thinks unproven treatment of trans-identifying children is “possibly one of the greatest scandal­s in medical history”.Professor Gillberg’s neuro­psychiatry group at Sweden’s Gothen­burg University — which has research hubs in Britain, France and Japan — has called for an immediate moratorium on the use of puberty blocker drugs because of their unknown long-term effects.He said the situation in Swed­en was “absolutely horrendous”, with hundreds of children a year given “experimental” puberty blockers and cross-sex hormones, risking infertility, “in the face of their parents’ doubts”.Dr Whitehall and Oxford University professor of evidence-based medicine Carl Heneghan have also claimed that lack of solid, long-term evidence makes trans medical treatment of children “experimental”.The Australian sought comm­ent from Melbourne’s Royal Chil­d­ren’s Hos­pital, home of the na­tion’s biggest child gender clinic.The spokesman for the doctors’ letter, Rob Pollnitz, a retired paediatrician with 50 years’ experience, said he believed gender confusion in children and adolescents was chiefly a psychological issue, not biological.“Before we give them unproven treatments with hormones and surgery, we ought to do our very best to sort out their psychological issues,” he said.Critics of the pro-trans “affirm­ation model”, spearheaded in Australia by the RCH, say they believe it focuses on “gender dysphoria” (conflict between identity and biological sex) at the expense of multiple other issues — such as autism, anorexia, family trauma or depression — in need of treatment.Professor Gillberg said the vast majority of new diagnoses of gender dysphoria in Sweden were teenage girls who, unlike more familiar early-onset cases involving males, “did not show any trans tendencies before the age of 10 years”.“Many of the Swedish (late-onset) cases have autism or an­orexia nervosa,” he said. He added it was very common for these young people “to have even more identity problems in pub­erty — who am I? How should I behave? What will become of me? Am I hetero? — than average.https://www.theaustralian.com.au/nation/doctors-back-inquiry-on-kids-trans-care/news-story/6f352bc99da430b194620a2605e8a50d  (behind a paywall) <last_img read more

American warship destroys Iranian drone in Strait of Hormuz

first_imgWASHINGTON — A U.S. warship on Thursday destroyed an Iranian drone in the Strait of Hormuz after it threatened the ship, President Donald Trump said. The incident marked a new escalation of tensions between the countries less than one month after Iran downed an American drone in the same waterway and Trump came close to retaliating with a military strike.In remarks at the White House, Trump blamed Iran for a “provocative and hostile” action and said the U.S. responded in self-defense. Iran’s foreign minister, Mohammad Javad Zarif, told reporters as he arrived for a meeting at the United Nations that “we have no information about losing a drone today.”Trump said the Navy’s USS Boxer, an amphibious assault ship, took defensive action after the Iranian aircraft closed to within 1,000 yards of the ship and ignored multiple calls to stand down.“The United States reserves the right to defend our personnel, facilities and interests and calls upon all nations to condemn Iran’s attempts to disrupt freedom of navigation and global commerce,” Trump said.The Pentagon said the incident happened at 10 a.m. local time Thursday in international waters while the Boxer was transiting the waterway to enter the Persian Gulf. The Boxer is among several U.S. Navy ships in the area, including the USS Abraham Lincoln, an aircraft carrier that has been operating in the nearby North Arabian Sea for weeks.last_img read more