With no evidence of fraud, Trump fails to make headway on legal cases.

first_imgBut none of the dozen or so lawsuits they had brought in battleground states appeared to be gaining any traction in the courts. And none seemed likely to give Mr. Trump the edge he would need in vote counts in the states that will determine the outcome.In seeking to foment widespread doubt about the legitimacy of the election, Mr. Trump and his surrogates seemed less focused on substantive legal arguments that could hold up in court, and more on bolstering the president’s political narrative, unsupported by the facts, that he was somehow being robbed of a second term. President Trump’s bellicose pledge to fight the outcome of the election in the courts crashed on Friday into skeptical judges, daunting Electoral College math and a lack of evidence for his claims of fraud.On a day that began with vote tallies in Georgia and Pennsylvania tipping in favor of Joseph R. Biden Jr., the Trump campaign declared, “This election is not over,” as the Republican National Committee announced it had activated “legal challenge teams” in Arizona, Georgia, Michigan and Pennsylvania. The Trump forces also named a new general to lead the effort, the hardened conservative political combatant David Bossie.- Advertisement – The most high-profile step of the day came when Pennsylvania Republicans asked the U.S. Supreme Court to step in and require election officials in the state to segregate ballots that arrived after Election Day and not to include them for now in the vote totals in the largest and most critical of the swing states.- Advertisement – On Friday evening, Justice Samuel A. Alito Jr. agreed to the request.But the move was almost entirely for show: Pennsylvania is already segregating those ballots, counting them separately and not including them in the announced vote totals. The secretary of state, over the objections of Republicans and Mr. Trump, has said they can be counted if they arrived by 5 p.m. on Friday, in line with a state court ruling that the Supreme Court has left open the possibility of reviewing again. – Advertisement –last_img read more

Captain Cook yet to decide on England future

first_img(REUTERS) – England captain Alastair Cook has not made any decision on whether to continue in the job, the 31-year-old said after his team’s 4-0 series loss against India yesterday.Cook landed in India with speculation about the position he has held since 2012 and the crushing defeat in India will only strengthen calls for him to hand over the Test captaincy to Joe Root.“This is not the place to be asking me these questions,” Cook told Sky Sports after his team lost the fifth and final Test by an innings and 75 runs in Chennai.“I have got to go away and do some thinking, get back home and do it without the emotive side of what’s happened over the last nine weeks,” he said after the defeat which pushed England down from second to fifth in the world rankings.England’s loss was all the more frustrating for Cook as the tourists won the toss in four of the five Tests and were not made to play on the spin-friendly pitches which India rolled out to South Africa last year.“It’s been a series of missed opportunities, in terms of catches that cost us,” Cook said.“Not being able to score enough runs and take enough wickets, it’s a tough dressing-room to be in. We tried as hard as we can but it wasn’t good enough.”England’s sloppy fielding allowed Karun Nair to hit a marathon 303 not out which set the tone for India’s comprehensive victory in the final Test.“It was a game of missed opportunities. We kept dropping vital chances and India kept punishing us.”last_img read more