“The environmental performance of the Headquarters complex will be significantly improved upon completion of the Capital Master Plan,” Michael Adlerstein, Executive Director of the five-year, $1.9 billion project, told a news conference in New York. “We’ll reduce energy consumption by a projected 44 per cent as compared to existing conditions,” he noted. “This is an improvement over the 40 per cent figure reported last year.” The reduction in energy consumption will be achieved through design initiatives in two key areas, Mr. Adlerstein reported. The first involves improving the building “envelope,” including by replacing the existing single glazed curtain wall on the exterior of the Secretariat building with a new, high performance double glazed curtain wall. This also involves installing automated interior shades and blinds to control heat gain and maximize the use of natural light. In addition, new insulation and other energy-conserving measures will be installed on roofs and exterior walls to reduce the heat transfer in both summer and winter. As a result, “our building envelope will leak less energy,” he stated.The second area of energy efficiency incorporates significant efforts to improve the heating, ventilating and air conditioning systems, as well as installing a sophisticated building management system which will automate the central controls of the building’s “antique” thermostat system. “The combination of a more secure building envelope and a higher technology heating and air conditioning system will save operating costs and lower our carbon footprint for decades,” said Mr. Adlerstein.The sustainability measures also include “dramatically” more efficient lighting systems, as well as a daylight harvesting system which will automatically control artificial light levels in response to natural light levels.Mr. Adlerstein stressed that the project is on schedule and will be completed as planned in 2013, adding that he is confident the project will be finished within the approved budget. “We’re making great progress on the temporary North Lawn building, the fit-out of our other swing spaces and the procurement tasks in support of the project,” he noted.It is expected that by the conclusion of the next general debate of the General Assembly in September, the temporary building will be completed and the Secretary-General, his staff and the functions of the conference building will move into it.Meanwhile, the floors in all three leased swing space locations, two in Manhattan and one in Long Island City, are being fitted out while some last minute designs are being finalized. While a small number of staff have already moved out of the complex, the bulk of the moves are slated to peak from June to August of this year, when it is least disruptive to the work of the Organization. 2 February 2009The renovation project designed to make United Nations Headquarters in New York more modern, safe and sustainable will result in a significant “greening” of the landmark complex that will reduce energy consumption and operating costs, as well as lower the world body’s carbon footprint, the official in charge of the overhaul said today.
CALGARY — It took China National Offshore Oil Co. a couple of tries before oil and gas giant Nexen Inc. warmed to its takeover offer, according to an information circular sent to shareholders.The Calgary-based company first heard rumblings in February and March that a Chinese state-owned firm may be planning to acquire it.On May 17, Nexen chairman Barry Jackson and interim CEO Kevin Reinhart met with CNOOC executives in Vancouver, where CNOOC vice chairman Yang Hua confirmed his company was interested in a friendly deal and asked Nexen to enter into exclusive negotiations.[np-related /]Later that month, Nexen’s board decided the price wasn’t high enough to allow CNOOC exclusive access to the information it needed to do its due diligence. On June 7, CNOOC reiterated its proposed offer, minus the exclusivity request.At a meeting on June 13, Nexen’s board once again deemed the offer too low. It decided to make a presentation to top CNOOC brass “regarding the company’s assets and prospects in order to enable CNOOC to consider increasing its proposed purchase price for the company,” the circular said.Those presentations took place in Vancouver on June 20 and 21. On July 3, CNOOC raised its offer price.“After hearing the views of management and the company’s financial and legal advisers and the recommendation of the special committee, the board determined that it would not support a transaction with CNOOC at the price specified in CNOOC’s July 3, 2012 letter but would consider supporting a transaction if a higher price was offered.”Jackson and Yang met in London a week later “to discuss the proposed transaction and particularly whether there was a price that CNOOC could offer that would be acceptable to the board.”Yang suggested a higher price, after which the two companies began to hammer out their deal.The $15.1-billion, $27.50-per-share friendly deal was announced on July 23.A special meeting is being held in Calgary on Sept. 20, where shareholders will vote on the transaction. It needs two-thirds support to go ahead.Federal Industry Minister Christian Paradis must also review the deal to and decide whether it would be of net benefit to Canada.Earlier this week, he said his department is still waiting for a formal proposal from the Chinese company before a review can begin.The deal needs the go-ahead from the Competition Bureau as well.The Canadian Press