Chadian journalist abducted, two others threatened by intelligence agency

first_img ChadAfrica Condemning abusesProtecting journalists ImpunityPredatorsViolenceDisappearances News to go further The 2020 pandemic has challenged press freedom in Africa Reports News Tribune Info publisher Eric Kokinangué and Mutations publisher Malachie Dionbé Mbaigara have been in hiding since they began getting threatening phone calls from the ANS, Chad’s counter-espionage and intelligence agency, that depends directly from the Presidential palace. “We condemn these attempts to intimidate journalists and we urge the authorities to respect the rule of law,” said Cléa Kahn-Sriber, the head of RSF’s Africa desk. “Practices of this kind just perpetuate the prevailing violence and impunity, which are incompatible with lasting democratization.” Mbaigara has been harassed ever since he announced in his newspaper earlier this month that he would reveal the identity of “false journalists” working for the ANS. On 21 February, he was kidnapped from his office in N’Djamena by two Arabic-speaking armed men, who asked him why he was writing about the ANS. They drove him across the city in their car and released him a few hours later. Two days later, Mbaigara and his editor received an unexplained summons from the head of the ANS. “We refused to go,” Mbaigara told RSF. “We will respond if there is a plaintiff and a summons from the judicial police.” A worrying disappearance Kokinangué’s home was searched by masked gunmen on the evening of 25 February. He was not there at the time, but his wife and children were, and they were very upset by the raid, he said. He told RSF he did not understand the reasons for this search. Shortly thereafter, the same men telephoned Tribune Info journalist Daniel Ngadjadoum and summoned him to a meeting. He refused to go. On the evening of the next day, 26 February, two gunmen in a car with tinted windows and no licence plate kidnapped Ngadjadoum as he left church. His whereabouts have been unknown since then. Some local sources link his abduction to a column he wrote on 22 February that was headlined, “President Idriss Déby, deceptive poker player.” It recalled that Déby, Chad’s president since 1990, had promised in interviews in the early 2000s that he would not to run for office again, but amended the constitution in 2005 and was reelected yet again in 2016. The president of the Union of Chadian Journalists has condemned these acts of violence and has urged those who feel they have been defamed by journalists to seek redress via the courts rather than resorting to the use of terror. All of Chad’s online social networks were disconnected during the April 2016 elections and were not restored until a few weeks ago. Frequent arbitrary arrests of journalists and intimidation of media outlets perpetuate a climate of fear and discourage criticism of the government. Chad is ranked 127th out of 180 countries in RSF’s 2016 World Press Freedom Index. Organisation Follow the news on Chad Reporters Without Borders (RSF) joins the Union of Chadian Journalists in condemning the intimidation of two newspaper publishers by Chad’s National Security Agency (ANS) during the past few days and the abduction of one of their reporters two days ago. Journaux Tchad © Tchadinfos RSF_en center_img December 1, 2020 Find out more Many historic publications threatened with closure in Chad Chadian radio stations on strike in protest against violent raid News Help by sharing this information Receive email alerts November 27, 2020 Find out more ChadAfrica Condemning abusesProtecting journalists ImpunityPredatorsViolenceDisappearances February 28, 2017 Chadian journalist abducted, two others threatened by intelligence agency October 7, 2020 Find out morelast_img read more

Croatia is one of the hosts of the World Men ‘s Handball Championship 2025.

first_imgThis is certainly another top sporting event that will encourage a large arrival of fans in destinations, and which, as always, will generate significant tourist spending in January 2025. “We are very happy to have won this championship. This is the first time in history that it has been jointly organized by three countries. Every country, in addition to being a strong handball nation, also has extremely extensive experience in organizing the biggest competitions. I have no doubt that Croatia will once again be a great host as it was in 2003 and 2009 when we organized first the women’s and then the men’s championship. The guiding thought, which we offered and promoted during the campaign, is to bring children back to the halls, to enable them to play sports, and especially handball. The IHF recognized this and gave us credit for the idea. We will work on it a lot in the coming years. ” said Tomislav Grahovac, president of the Croatian Handball Federation. Zagreb, Split, Varazdin, Porec i Dubrovnik on the one hand, Copenhagen and Herning, on the other, and Trondheim, Stavanger or Dramen, or Oslo on the third, will host the competition. He will participate in the championship 32 national teams, and according to the plan of the competition itself, four groups of pre-competitions would be held in Croatia, and two each in Denmark and Norway. In the second round of the competition there are four main groups and the President Cup. Croatia did the best here as well, winning two main groups and the President’s Cup, and Denmark and Norway one each. Consequently, two quarterfinals and one semifinal would be played in our country, hopefully with Croatia in the lead role. The other two quarterfinals and one semifinal belong to Denmark (one quarterfinal) and the rest to Norway. The city of Oslo would host the final weekend. The Board of Directors of the World Handball Federation (IHF) accepted the candidacy of Croatia, Denmark and Norway and awarded them the organization of the World Men’s Handball Championship in 2025. last_img read more

The results of the previous part of the tourist year are presented

first_imgPhoto: Casanova Tour, Istra Inspirit Vir, Rovinj and Medulin they are the leading destinations during July and August, according to the total turnover measured by overnight stays. Porec, Rovinj and Dubrovnik they recorded the most hotel nights. Crikvenica is a leading destination family accommodation, in front of Rab and Medulin camping, leading her Rovinj, in front of Funtana and Tara. In July and August, we realized 5.2 million arrivals or 54% of turnover at the level of 2019, while 39.8 million overnight stays or 62 percent of overnight stays were realized in July and August compared to 2019.  See the entire presentation in the attachment. Today, the Ministry of Tourism and Sports presented the results of the current part of the tourist year and announced plans and activities for the coming period. During the first eight months of 2020, most overnight stays were realized in Istria (11,9 million), in the Primorje-Gorski Kotar County (9,7 million), while in Zadar County 8,6 million overnight stays were realized. They are followed by Split-Dalmatia County with 8,3 million overnight stays and Šibenik-Knin County with 3,6 million overnight stays. Dubrovnik-Neretva County realized 2,5 million overnight stays, Lika-Senj County 1,7 million overnight stays, while Zagreb realized 550.000 overnight stays and other continental counties 835.000 overnight stays.  At the national level, during the first eight months, most overnight stays were realized from the markets of Germany (11,2 million), Slovenia (7,6 million), Poland (4 million), the Czech Republic (3,1 million), Austria (2,3 million) , Italy (1,4 million), Hungary (1,3 million) and Slovakia (1,1 million), and looking at the accommodation segment, most overnight stays were realized in household facilities (20,3 million) and campsites million) and hotels (7,9 million). The top destinations in the first eight months according to the criteria of realized overnight stays are Vir, Rovinj, Medulin, Poreč, Crikvenica and Mali Lošinj.  When looking at the results from the beginning of the year to the end of August (January – August) compared to the same period in 2019, there were 6,8 million arrivals (41% at the 2019 level) and 47,5 million overnight stays (53%). Of that, foreign tourists realized 5,5 million arrivals and 38,3 million overnight stays, while domestic tourists realized 1,3 million arrivals and 9,2 million overnight stays.  So far this year, 53 percent of last year’s result in the same periodcenter_img In the period July-August, the most successful index of tourist traffic, compared to 2019, was recorded local market, and then Poland, Slovenia, Germany and the Czech Republic. Side dish: Analysis of tourist traffic and review of activities carried out during July and August 2020 When looking at the types of accommodation, hotels are at 40% of traffic compared to last year, campsites at 57%, facilities in households and family farms at 66% and nautical charter at the level of 70%. Nikolina Brnjac, Minister of Tourism and Sports: Behind us, given the circumstances, is a very successful eight months of the tourist year The current results of tourist traffic in Croatia have exceeded the initial forecasts of the World Tourism Organization (UNWTO) on the realization of 30 percent of last year’s tourist traffic, she emphasized in the introduction. Minister of Tourism and Sports Nikolina Brnjac and added that behind us, given the circumstances, is a very successful eight months of the tourist year in which our tourism workers and those working in tourism-related activities have once again shown that they are extremely adaptable and innovative. “This Government recognizes tourism and all the measures taken so far, from the very beginning of the pandemic, before the summer and now for the rest of the year, in which we have worked with many stakeholders inside and outside the sector, have laid the groundwork for these results. We are now facing the realization of the rest of the tourist year and preparation for next year, the development of a new strategic document and a series of activities aimed at maintaining the stability of the tourist system, strengthening its resilience and accelerating the recovery process. Our wish is for tourism to be an instrument and a model as it has been so far, for the development of the economy and the encouragement of other industries.” Brnjac points out.   In the main summer part of the tourist year, we achieved an excellent result, which ranks Croatia at the top of the Mediterranean in terms of tourist traffic, said the director of the CNTB Kristjan Staničić and added: “Final preparations are underway for the implementation of activities aimed at promoting the post-season, during which we will focus on nautical, continental offer, eno-gastronomy and the offer of Croatian national parks and nature parks. Also, through September, we will conduct a campaign in our most important markets, as part of which we will express our gratitude to all tourists for their trust in choosing Croatian destinations for their destinations this year. We are also working very intensively on preparations for 2021, in which we will position Croatia even more strongly as a safe tourist destination with a focus on the markets that reacted best to promotional activities this year, such as Germany, Slovenia, Austria, Poland, Czech Republic, Italy, Slovakia and Hungary” Istria County leads, followed by Primorje-Gorski Kotar and Split-Dalmatia County in the number of arrivals and overnight stays, and in July and August the Zadar and Kvarner clusters lead the most in terms of clusters, while the lowest rates are recorded in Zagreb and Dubrovnik, which are related to air traffic.last_img read more

Hargis “Wayne” Milam

first_imgHargis “Wayne” Milam, of Aurora, Indiana, passed away May 18, 2017 in Lawrenceburg, Indiana.He was born November 24, 1953 in Detroit, MI.Wayne worked over 44 years as a paint specialist for Aurora Lumber Company.He was a member of the Church of Christ in Aurora. Wayne began working at Aurora Lumber after high school and was known as “The Paint Guy”. He was an avid sports fan, enjoying Reds baseball, basketball, He was especially into Bengals football and fantasy football. Wayne was very laid back, and took everything peacefully. He never raised his voice or said a bad word. Wayne loved to be with family, especially his granddaughter.Surviving are wife, Barbara Jean Milam of Aurora, IN; daughter, Lori (fiancé Daniel Rieman) Milam of Cincinnati, OH; son, Matt Milam of Cincinnati, OH; siblings, Connie (Terry) New of Aurora, IN, David (Jody) Chase of Carmel, IN, Bob (Pam) Chase of Greenwood, IN; Ronnie (late, Joann) Milam of Aurora, IN; and granddaughter, Haley Rieman.Friends will be received Monday, May 22, 2017, 5:00 pm – 8:00 pm at the Rullman Hunger Funeral Home, 219 Mechanic Street, Aurora, Indiana.Services will be held at Rullman Hunger Funeral Home, 219 Mechanic Street, May 23, 2017 at 11:00 am.Interment will follow in the Mt. Sinai Cemetery, Aurora, Indiana.Contributions may be made to the Aurora Life Squad. If unable to attend services, please call the funeral home office at (812) 926-1450 and we will notify the family of your donation with a card.Visit: www.rullmans.comlast_img read more