Kidnapped Portuguese journalist freed

first_img IraqMiddle East – North Africa November 17, 2003 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Kidnapped Portuguese journalist freed RSF’s 2020 Round-up: 50 journalists killed, two-thirds in countries “at peace” News RSF_en News February 15, 2021 Find out more December 28, 2020 Find out more Help by sharing this information Receive email alerts December 16, 2020 Find out morecenter_img Reporter Carlos Raleiras, of the privately-owned radio station TSF, wasreleased by Iraqi captors on 15 November, a day after armed men seized himin southern Iraq. He said he had not been mistreated. The kidnappersreportedly demanded a $50,000 ransom. Portuguese prime minister José Manuel Durao Barroso welcomed his releasebut declined comment on how it had happened. The Portuguese governmentsaid it had warned journalists that Portugal could not guarantee theirsafety if they went to Iraq. Raleiras said the arrest by Iraqi police ofthe leader of the kidnappers had led to his release.____________________14.11.2003Call for release of Portuguese journalist abducted in southern IraqReporters Without Borders has called for the immediate and unconditional release of Portuguese journalist Carlos Raleiras, who was attacked and kidnapped by armed men today in southern Iraq, near the border with Kuwait. The organisation also appealed to the British military forces in charge of the region to deploy all necessary resources to track down Raleiras and his abductors.”We are very concerned about this journalist’s fate,” Reporters Without Borders secretary-general Robert Ménard said. He added: “The security conditions are extremely worrying for all journalists working in Iraq and we call on all parties there – armies from the western countries, armed groups and groups of bandits – to respect the members of the press, who are observers and neutral witnesses on field mission.”A special correspondent with the Portuguese commercial radio station TSF, Raleiras was in a convoy of several vehicles without military protection that was attacked by an unidentified group of armed men as it was heading towards the southern city of Basra.He reached the news agency LUSA in Lisbon by telephone several hours after going missing and said: “I have been kidnapped. The situation is very complicated. I cannot talk. I am using my radio. I have to hang up.” Maria Joao Ruela, another Portuguese journalist who is a correspondent for the commercial TV station SIC, was wounded in the leg in the attack but her condition is not critical. Three jailed reporters charged with “undermining national security” News Iraq : Wave of arrests of journalists covering protests in Iraqi Kurdistan to go further Organisation IraqMiddle East – North Africa Follow the news on Iraq Newslast_img read more

Odds & Ends: Tony Winners Join Renee Elise Goldsberry in Lacks & More

first_img View Comments It’s all love on Younger. @sfosternyc @HilaryDuff #YoungerTVhttps://t.co/AJ9PMfSeBc— #YoungerTV (@YoungerTV) August 11, 2016 Renée Elise Goldsberry(Photo: Emilio Madrid-Kuser)center_img Here’s a quick roundup of stories you may have missed from today. Six Tony Winners Join Renée Elise Goldsberry in LacksTony winners Adriane Lenox, Reed Birney, Ruben Santiago-Hudson, Roger Robinson, Courtney B. Vance and Leslie Uggams, as well as John Douglas Thompson, have all been tapped for HBO Films’ The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks. According to Deadline, they will team up with the previously reported Tony winner Renée Elise Goldsberry and Oprah Winfrey in the project from Tony winner George C. Wolfe. Based on Rebecca Skloot’s bestselling nonfiction book of the same name, it follows the true story of Lacks (Goldsberry), an African-American woman whose cells were used to create the first immortal human cell line.Kelli O’Hara & Will Chase Board Kiss Me, Kate BenefitTony winner Kelli O’Hara and Tony nominee (and current Something Rotten! star) Will Chase will headline a benefit concert reading of Kiss Me, Kate for Roundabout Theatre Company. The one-night-only event, directed by Roundabout Artistic Director Scott Ellis, is set for December 12 at Studio 54. The pair of stage favorites will take on the classic roles of Lilli Vanessi and Fred Graham, last played on Broadway by Marin Mazzie (who recently stepped in for O’Hara in The King and I) and Brian Stokes Mitchell, respectively. Time to brush up your Shakespeare—and Cole Porter!Supergirl & The Flash Set for Musical CrossoverThis sounds like a musical match made in TV heaven! The CW’s Supergirl and The Flash will join forces for a two-part episode. “Yes, there will be a musical crossover,” TV Land reports executive producer Greg Berlanti saying at a press event. “There’s going to be a musical pair of episodes in the back half of the year between Supergirl and The Flash.” Tony nominee Jeremy Jordan is, of course, a stalwart of Supergirl, along with Glee alum Melissa Benoist and Tony-winning mom-to-be Laura Benanti. Meanwhile, over at The Flash, Jesse L. Martin is a Broadway alum and Grant Gustin has also been on Glee. They’ll sing mostly preexisting songs and we can’t wait!Sutton Foster & Hilary Duff Feel the LoveTwo-time Tony winner Sutton Foster has a big fan in her Younger co-star, Hilary Duff. “We like each other,” enthused Duff. “I think that I get to learn watching Sutton. She never ceases to amaze me sometimes with the choices that she makes.” Check out their mutual love fest below. The third season of the hit TV Land series will premiere on September 28; it has already been renewed for a fourth.last_img read more