Beijing court throws out appeal by jailed cyber-dissident Wang Lihong

first_img Reporters Without Borders deplores the rejection on 20 October by a Beijing court of the appeal by cyber-dissident Wang Lihong (王 荔蕻) against a nine-month prison sentence imposed on 12 August for disturbing public order by organising a demonstration in Fuzhou in support of three bloggers convicted of defamation.Wang Lihong was arrested in March and held for five months before appearing in court on 12 August. One of her lawyers, Han Yicun, said the trial was unfair because the judge had been obstructive, interrupting the defence and the defendant several times. China: Political commentator sentenced to eight months in prison April 27, 2021 Find out more News RSF_en Help by sharing this information News The artist Ai Weiwei expressed his support for the blogger in a Tweet in August (in Chinese and in English). A blog supporting her and a petition on Twitter are also available. News Wang’s trial is a worrying signal from the Chinese government, which is stepping up its control of the Internet and in particular micro-blogging sites such as Sina Weibo (which has reached a total of 200 million users). The Chinese authorities are worried by the ability of cyber-dissidents to move from virtual activism to activism in the real world, by organising demonstrations using social networking sites as in the case of Wang.Since the beginning of the year, cyber-attacks on media organizations, the institutionalization of Internet censorship and arrests of netizens have continued (read article)China is on Reporters Without Borders’ list of Internet Enemies and is 171st out of 178 countries in the press freedom index for 2010. China’s Cyber ​​Censorship Figures June 2, 2021 Find out morecenter_img ChinaAsia – Pacific Follow the news on China ChinaAsia – Pacific Receive email alerts to go further Democracies need “reciprocity mechanism” to combat propaganda by authoritarian regimes October 21, 2011 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Beijing court throws out appeal by jailed cyber-dissident Wang Lihong News Organisation March 12, 2021 Find out morelast_img read more

Kidnapped Portuguese journalist freed

first_img IraqMiddle East – North Africa November 17, 2003 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Kidnapped Portuguese journalist freed RSF’s 2020 Round-up: 50 journalists killed, two-thirds in countries “at peace” News RSF_en News February 15, 2021 Find out more December 28, 2020 Find out more Help by sharing this information Receive email alerts December 16, 2020 Find out morecenter_img Reporter Carlos Raleiras, of the privately-owned radio station TSF, wasreleased by Iraqi captors on 15 November, a day after armed men seized himin southern Iraq. He said he had not been mistreated. The kidnappersreportedly demanded a $50,000 ransom. Portuguese prime minister José Manuel Durao Barroso welcomed his releasebut declined comment on how it had happened. The Portuguese governmentsaid it had warned journalists that Portugal could not guarantee theirsafety if they went to Iraq. Raleiras said the arrest by Iraqi police ofthe leader of the kidnappers had led to his release.____________________14.11.2003Call for release of Portuguese journalist abducted in southern IraqReporters Without Borders has called for the immediate and unconditional release of Portuguese journalist Carlos Raleiras, who was attacked and kidnapped by armed men today in southern Iraq, near the border with Kuwait. The organisation also appealed to the British military forces in charge of the region to deploy all necessary resources to track down Raleiras and his abductors.”We are very concerned about this journalist’s fate,” Reporters Without Borders secretary-general Robert Ménard said. He added: “The security conditions are extremely worrying for all journalists working in Iraq and we call on all parties there – armies from the western countries, armed groups and groups of bandits – to respect the members of the press, who are observers and neutral witnesses on field mission.”A special correspondent with the Portuguese commercial radio station TSF, Raleiras was in a convoy of several vehicles without military protection that was attacked by an unidentified group of armed men as it was heading towards the southern city of Basra.He reached the news agency LUSA in Lisbon by telephone several hours after going missing and said: “I have been kidnapped. The situation is very complicated. I cannot talk. I am using my radio. I have to hang up.” Maria Joao Ruela, another Portuguese journalist who is a correspondent for the commercial TV station SIC, was wounded in the leg in the attack but her condition is not critical. Three jailed reporters charged with “undermining national security” News Iraq : Wave of arrests of journalists covering protests in Iraqi Kurdistan to go further Organisation IraqMiddle East – North Africa Follow the news on Iraq Newslast_img read more

£5.8m loss in first JLL results

first_imgTo access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week. Would you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletterslast_img