Disappointing decision in Wattan TV case

first_img IsraelMiddle East – North Africa WhatsApp blocks accounts of at least seven Gaza Strip journalists News News RSF_en Reporters Without Borders is extremely disappointed by the outcome of an Israeli High Court of Justice hearing on 4 December not to rescind a military order under which transmission equipment was confiscated from Palestinian broadcaster Wattan TV during a military raid on its headquarters in Ramallah in February 2012.“This High Court decision is very regrettable,” Reporters Without Borders said. “No evidence was presented, as the grounds were considered classified, and Wattan TV had no opportunity to present counter-arguments to these grounds. The decision appears completely arbitrary, especially as Wattan TV is currently broadcasting on a frequency issued by the Palestinian Authority as required by the September 1995 Interim Agreement.”“We are outraged by the degree to which security – now given as the reason for the confiscation after two other pretexts were discarded – is used to legitimize everything in Israeli, even the most arbitrary actions.”Reporters Without Borders has learned that, during the 4 December hearing, the Israeli government’s lawyer requested an ex parte hearing to explain why Israel’s security required the equipment’s confiscation.The Court agreed to the request, despite the fact that Wattan TV’s lawyers, Adv. Michael Sfard and Adv. Noa Amrami, stressed the importance of the right to be able to challenge every piece of evidence presented.It was after this ex parte 15-minute hearing that the Court decided, without providing justification, not to overturn the IDF’s decision to confiscate Wattan TV’s equipment.The Court did not, however, dismiss Wattan TV’s petition. Deeming that the frequency it is currently using to broadcast its programmes is illegal, the Court gave the station 45 days to obtain a new frequency from the Palestinian Authority. Depending the outcome, the Court will give its final judgment in the matter.Reporters Without Borders is meanwhile relieved to learn that Mohamed Abu Khdeir, a reporter for the daily Al-Quds who was arrested by the Israeli security forces on his return from Cairo on 6 November, was finally released on 5 December.He told Reporters Without Borders he was questioned about his journalistic work, including his interviews with Hamas members and other politicians, and his links with Hamas. He said he was kept in solitary confinement and was mistreated during his detention. June 3, 2021 Find out more Israel now holding 13 Palestinian journalists May 28, 2021 Find out more May 16, 2021 Find out more Organisation center_img News December 9, 2013 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Disappointing decision in Wattan TV case Receive email alerts News to go further Follow the news on Israel RSF asks ICC prosecutor to say whether Israeli airstrikes on media in Gaza constitute war crimes Help by sharing this information IsraelMiddle East – North Africa last_img read more

Ethiopia to meet Ghana and Cameroon in a warm-up game ahead of Nigeria clash

first_imgEthiopia plans to play warm-up matches against continental powerhouses Ghana and Cameroon before taking on Nigeria in the final play-off for the 2014 World Cup, Ethiopian Radio and Television Agency (ERTA) reported on Tuesday.The Walya Antelopes have opened camp in Addis Ababa with 24 players from the local league and expect four players from abroad to join up with the squad in a fortnight.Coach Sewnet Bishaw is then expected to name his final 23-man squad to face the Super Eagles. His opposite number Stephen Keshi announced his 23-man squad for the game last week.The East Africans will host the crunch tie against the Super Eagles on October 12 in Addis before coming to Calabar for the second leg on November 16.If the Ethiopian Football Federation succeeds in securing friendly matches with either Ghana or Cameroon, it will give them an opportunity to test their strength against teams that play similar styles like the reigning African champions.The Super Eagles defeated Ethiopia 2-0 in Rustenburg on their way to winning the Africa Cup of Nations early in the year.last_img read more

Hokies strike again to upset UNC in OT

first_img“Something special brewing around the program,” Dowdell said. Dowdell and Deron Washington combined to stop Ty Lawson cold in the final seconds of overtime and preserve the victory for the Hokies (18-7, 8-3 Atlantic Coast Conference), who gave their NCAA tournament hopes a significant boost with another road victory against a Top-5 team. Virginia Tech topped North Carolina for the second time, after previously upsetting Duke. Maybe the Hokies should push for an extension of Tobacco Road. The Atlantic Coast Conference newcomers are making a habit of upsetting the league’s traditional powers, with Zabian Dowdell scoring a career-high 33 points Tuesday night in an 81-80 overtime victory over No. 4 North Carolina which sealed an improbable season sweep of the Tar Heels. “Probably the understatement of the day is (that) I couldn’t be more proud of our team,” Virginia Tech coach Seth Greenberg said. Markus Sailes gave North Carolina one last chance when he missed two free throws with 7.1 seconds left. Lawson rushed down the court and took a quick shot which was tied up by Dowdell. Lawson got the rebound and shot again from the lane, but Washington swatted it away. Wayne Ellington grabbed the ball and the buzzer sounded just before he released and hit a 3-pointer. “The basketball gods were on our side today,” Dowdell said. Texas Tech 77, No. 6 at Texas A&M 75: Jarrius Jackson hit a jumper at the buzzer to give the Red Raiders a win over the Aggies, ending a five-game losing streak for Texas Tech. center_img Acie Law tied the game with a 3-pointer from the top of the key with 6 seconds left, before Jackson drove the length of the court and pulled up for the winning score. The crowd sat in stunned silence for a few seconds while officials looked at a replay of the basket before declaring it good. At No. 13 Butler 79, Florida Gulf Coast 65: Mike Green scored a career-high 24 points, A.J. Graves added 22 and the Bulldogs won its 22nd straight game at home. The nonconference win by the Bulldogs (24-3) snapped a school-record 14-game winning streak by the Eagles (22-6), who will move up to Division I next season as members of the Atlantic Sun Conference. No. 16 Southern Illinois 51, at Missouri State 47: Randal Falker scored 20 points and grabbed 12 rebounds to lead the Salukis. Southern Illinois (22-5, 13-3 Missouri Valley) extended its winning streak to eight game while Missouri State (19-8, 10-6) saw its five-game winning streak end. At Tennessee 89, No. 20 Kentucky 85: Chris Lofton scored 23 points and Duke Crews added 18 to help the Volunteers upset the Wildcats. The Volunteers (18-8, 6-5 Southeastern Conference) had plenty of motivation with the school’s big promotion of the game – “Paint the Town Orange” – and a halftime ceremony to retire No. 53 worn by former All-American and NBA All-Star Bernard King. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!last_img read more

Whose Line Star Colin Mochrie Supports Transgender Daughter On Twitter

first_img Twitter Facebook Advertisement LEAVE A REPLY Cancel replyLog in to leave a comment Advertisement Colin Mochrie has taken to Twitter to criticize intolerance of transgender people, revealing that he and wife Deb McGrath are the parents of a trans daughter.“My 90-year-old mother-in-law and 87-year-old mother[‘s] love and acceptance of our trans daughter warms me,” the Canadian “Whose Line Is It Anyway?” star shared on Twitter, adding: “Wonder why some who are younger can’t.” Login/Register With:last_img read more

Bahamas House of Assembly reconvenes Election Date to be announced

first_img Related Items:#BahamasGeneralElections, #BahamasHOAreconvenes, #magneticmedianews Recommended for you Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp Long lines for Registration, Department ready for influx Constitutional requirement on General Elections explained Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsAppBahamas, April 11, 2017 – Nassau – The House of Assembly reconvenes today in The Bahamas and when it does, the Prime Minister, Perry Christie is expected to tell the nation the exact date of the General Election and then dissolve Parliament.Ring the bell is the cultural command as thousands rushed last week to ensure that they have a voice to vote at the polls.  Registration centers were opened late to accommodate the 40,000 plus people who were eligible but delayed registering before now.The goal for the Parliamentary Registration department was to get to at least what the 2012 voter list reflected, which is 172,000 electors.  At last report, the Department was 5,000 voters away from that goal.  Grand Bahama yesterday reported having over 30,000 people registered to vote.#MagneticMediaNews#BahamasHOAreconvenes#BahamasGeneralElections Exams rescheduled because of Electionlast_img read more